Thursday 28 June 2012

Free-form fabric bird



I made several birds using a pattern.  I also enjoyed making two much larger birds working direct with the wire and stuffing and fabric, and building them up as I went.  This little bird follows the same process.



I started with a set of ordinary legs I had made from galvanised wire earlier.  Instructions for these are in the previous blog, though these were double the size of the ones described.  I unwound one of the curly bits in the middle and used this to form a beak.

I covered this with fabric and stitched it in place.




I then stitched some stuffing to the wire to form a head.



 I then sewed bits of fabric on.  I particularly liked this handmade silk and merino felt with the lime green strands,  I only had a piece about an inch on the largest dimension, so it just formed the front of the face.





I then added other head bits and began to build up the body, first with stuffing and then with pieces of fabric.

I added a tail and some wings. I liked this scrap of velvet with its fluffy edge, so the bird got a crest.


I used this rather livid yellow thread to pick up the threads on the front of the face.


Beads for eyes.  Are they big enough?  I could always change them later.

Named the bird Aubrey because of the autumnal auburn colours.

These beautiful scraps of silk and velvet were donated by Sue Elliot, who makes glorious items in her studio in Selkirk, Scotland.

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed seeing the little fella take shape in your photo's. You have a knack for creating very lively birds, full of character.
    What's next - emu size? Would LOVE to see you tackle something of that size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes! was wondering about a flamingo, but that is a bit passe (accenty thing). Supposed to learn to work smaller in the flat...

    ReplyDelete